How we can help your business with Tax


The dreaded word “Tax” usually fills most people with a certain amount of trepidation, but it does not have to be this way. Let us alleviate the stress of filing deadlines and communicate with HMRC directly on your behalf.

Whether you are self-employed, part of a partnership, a private individual or a company director, HM Revenue & Customs expect you to be compliant with certain regulations. They expect you to know what returns are required.

Self-Assessment Tax Return (SA100)

What is Self-assessment? A self-assessment tax return for example, needs to be prepared by a person who is self-employed, a private individual who has dividend income, a landlord who has profits from property rental, a person who has sold an asset and has a capital gain, a person with untaxed savings income or you have a household income of over £50,000 and you receive child benefit.

The UK tax year runs from the 6 April to the 5 April and the deadline for filing this return is nine months after the tax year has ended. We never recommend waiting until the 31 January to file the return as it is much better for you to know your tax obligations well in advance, so that you can set aside money in preparation. There is a penalty if the submission is received after the 31 January and interest added to late payments.

Corporation Tax Return (CT600)

Corporation Tax is the tax that limited companies pay on their profits. As part of our service we can register the company for corporation tax, prepare and file the corporation tax return. This is normally due 12 after the company’s accounting period.

VAT (Value Added Tax)

If your business has a vat taxable turnover of over £85,000 in a year, you must register with HMRC for vat. Once you have registered for vat, your business must charge vat on sales invoices and pay any vat due and file a quarterly vat return digitally. We can help register your company for vat with the most suitable vat scheme and make sure your vat returns are MTD compliant.

This is a tax that is calculated on the increased value of an asset once it is sold. Whether a property or other type of investment, HMRC allow you to make a gain of £12,000 in the 2019/20 tax year before any CGT becomes due. We are here to help advise, prepare and file the return for you.

Our blog offers up to date topical advice on a range of issues that may affect your accounting services requirements. Browse our latest articles on our blog page.